Sunday, August 21, 2016

I'm Back. New name new site same old Wrestling Guy!



Hello all

It’s been a long time, I shouldn’t have left you without any wrestling to step to…..to read about…..to…. I don’t really know how I should end that. My bad. Any who, it has been more than 2 years since I have written a blog, and I think it is time to start this puppy back up. Just like WWE I think it is time to rebrand. So I have dropped the name of the blog, and decided to call it what it is, I am a black wrestling nerd (here comes the reintroduction). 

I started watching wrestling at a very young age with my dad (RIP), and like most people,  I was into the glory years of wrestling in the mid to late 80s, and early 90s. WWE has been nationwide for a long time, so I have been watching WWE since then. Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage (RIP), The Ultimate Warrior (RIP), those were my guys. I loved them. So much so that when Hogan beat Warrior, I cried a little (told you I am a nerd for this). But I grew up in the south (ATL Hoe), so we had TBS, and as most of you with TBS know, on Saturday nights we had Jim Crockett Promotion’s (JCP), Georgia Championship Wresting’s, World Championship Wrestling. I had to say all of that to let you know that this was before the WCW we came to know and love in the mid to late 90s. I watched Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes (RIP), and the Road Warriors (Half RIP), during this time, and enjoyed them as well, but not as much as WWE. 

As I got older, the storylines in WWE got worse, and JCP was bought out and being run by a number of people who could not make wrestling entertaining. So, I put wrestling on the shelf. My dad was not around for these to be our bonding moments, and I really had no reason to watch it. So as Brett “The Hitman” Hart, Shawn Michaels, and the Undertaker were making their mark in WWE, and Hogan moved down to Atlanta to work for WCW, I was watching from a far. Even though I still wasn’t back in, I had TBS and would still see commercials for WCW. Every so often I would watch Saturday Night’s Main Event, but I would not give it too much of my time. Honestly, I was tired of watching Hogan get beat up all the time. So I wasn’t paying much attention to wrestling. Hogan turning on his fans that he loved for years, to join the NWO, made me happy. Finally he wasn’t letting people kick him around, but it was not enough to get me to pay attention.
It’s not like I wasn’t hearing about wrestling, and did not try to give it a chance. I remember going to Blockbuster Video, and they had a special interest section. In that section you could rent video tapes(yes tapes, it was the 90s), of WrestleMania. So that’s what I did, I rented WrestleMania 12. It was the one that was headlined by Shawn and Brett in their one hour ironman match. And if I were being honest, it was not a good mania. It was pretty boring, and that includes that main event. So at this point wrestling was doing nothing to get me back involved. 

Fast forward to 1995 or 1996, one night I am turning past WWE. Now, at this point in time WWE is not in syndication, at least where I am, and I am not able to watch a lot of WWE TV, so I have no idea who the wrestlers are at the top. But I turn for what couldn’t have been more than 10 minutes, and I see that Shawn Michaels is the WWE champion (did not see that coming), and I see this bald guy who is talking so much sh**. It was kind of cool to see, but something about this guy was familiar. His name of course, was Stone Cold Steve Austin. I remembered him from his WCW days as Stunning Steve Austin. I thought, man his is a lot bigger than he was back then, but I did not know if I was buying his act. Also I think he was still doing the Ringmaster gimmick, so that could have been what was throwing me off.

I know you guys are probably wondering “when did you get back into wrestling?” Well, it was probably around the same time most of you did. It was spring of 1998, I was a senior in high school, and one night for some odd reason, I turned past WWE TV and what did I see? I saw Stone Cold, who was not the WWE champion, in the ring talking to Vince McMahon. I found out at that time he was the boss, and there was something about his vibe and energy that made me keep watching. After that, I saw D-Generation X, and saw them fight the Nation of Domination. Then I saw some dude named Kane, who looked big and scary, and I saw Undertaker. All of the sudden, 2 hours had gone by and I was hooked.
Now, as you may know if you are reading a wrestling blog, 1998 was about the height of the Monday Night War (both WWE Raw, and WCW Nitro aired at the same time in a battle to win ratings). So I was getting into Nitro as well. But as much as I liked Nitro, as I was getting back into wrestling, I was becoming a WWE guy. And besides, Stone Cold from that point on became my favorite wrestler and WCW trotted out the Stone Cold clone, Goldberg. 

So I got back into wrestling, and have pretty much been in ever since. I did not leave when WCW folded. I have not left through any of the eras in WWE, not the ruthless aggression, not the PG. I have stayed through whatever bad decisions I do not believe in, and I have stayed through them making the WWE title spin.
So the reason I started writing this blog 6 years ago, was back then there were not many people writing about pro wrestling. And I know now there are a lot of outlets for you to read about wrestling, but I am writing as someone who is just a fan. I do not claim to be some insider. I don’t have any wrestling experience (unless you count the butt kicking I took in 8th grade in JV wrestling). I am just a guy who nerds out for wrestling, and has a lot of opinions. Unlike a lot other people doing what I am doing, I am going to keep it positive. I enjoy watching wrestling, reading about wrestling, and even writing about it. So for those of you who are new to my blog, welcome. I thank you for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy what you read.
And some of you that used to read my blogs may also be asking why haven’t you written a blog in 2 years. Well, life has happened. When I started writing this blog in 2010 I was childless, and last time I wrote this blog my son was 2. Now I am a father of two. My son is 4 and my daughter is 1. So now that my kids are older, and I have so much to say about wrestling that I had to do it in blog form. This isn’t just about WWE, but because SummerSlam is coming, that will be the subject of my next entry.

So that is it people. I am no longer the Ram, I am the black wrestling guy, and here is the new site. Next week I will have it up and running and up to the standard that you are expecting.



And my friends that is all for now. I know this was long, but I had to let you know where I have been and how we got here. I promise not to make the other ones so long. And I also promise that this will not be an all WWE blog. I watch TNA, and ROH regularly, and New Japan comes on TV even though it is about 6 months behind. Any way thank you everyone for reading, and comment if you would like. Until then people, enjoy SummerSlam. And check out my predictions blog also.

No comments:

Post a Comment